Editor Name: Dr. Xiao Zhao
Educational Qualification: PhD
Designation: Postdoctoral Research Associate at Texas A&M University, USA
Department: Molecular and Cellular Medicine
Texas A&M University
Research Interest: cellular and systemic signaling networks that govern energy homeostasis and lipid metabolism, and subsequently affect the organismal physiology, aging and pathogen disease.
Biography: Dr. Xiao Zhao is a research associate in Dr. Jason Karpac’s group at Texas A&M University Health Sciences Center. He received his Ph.D. in Genetics from Sun Yat-sen University with an emphasis on gene regulation and function. He primarily use the Drosophila melanogaster as a genetic model to investigate the function and integration of signaling networks on energy homeostasis and lipid metabolism at multiple levels of biological organization: from molecules, to cells and tissues, to inter-organ communication, to metabolic-immune integration. He also started to conceptually expand this work, integrating in-depth genetic and signaling studies in Drosophila with disease mechanisms, aging, and dietary/exercise interventions as well as metabolic-immune integration.
1. Xiao Zhao and Jason Karpac. Muscle directs diurnal energy homeostasis through a myokine-dependent hormone module in Drosophila. Current Biology, 2017, 27 (13): 1941 - 1955.e6
2. Xiao Zhao, Zhaoyang Liu, Qing-Xin Liu. Gene coexpression networks reveal key drivers of phenotypic divergence in porcine muscle. BMC genomics, 2015, 16(1):50.
3. Xiao Zhao, Qi Yu, Ling Huang and Qing-Xin Liu. Patterns of positive selection of the complete myogenic regulatory factor gene family in vertebrates. PLoS ONE, 2014, 9(3): e92873.
4. Xiao Zhao, Zheng Huang, Xiaohong Liu, Yaosheng Chen,Wen Gong, Kaifan Yu, Lijun Qin, Hu Chen, Delin Mo. The switch role of the Tmod4 in the regulation of balanced development between myogenesis and adipogenesis. Gene, 2013, 532 (12): 263-271.
5. Xiao Zhao, Delin Mo, Anning Li, Wen Gong, Shuqi Xiao, Yue Zhang, Limei Qin, Yuna Niu, Yunxue Guo, Xiaohong Liu, Peiqing Cong, Zuyong He, Chong Wang, Jiaqi Li, Yaosheng Chen. Comparative analyses by deep-sequencing of transcriptome during skeletal muscle development between two swine breeds differing in muscle growth and fatness. PLoS ONE, 2011, 6(5): e19774.
6. Xiao Zhao, Delin Mo, Anning Li, Wen Gong, Yue Zhang, Weiwei Qian, Weiquan Chen, Shuqi Xiao, Yaosheng Chen. Characterization and transcriptional regulation analysis of the porcine PAQR6 gene. DNA and CELL BIOLOGY, 2011, 30 (11): 1-8.
7. Ling Huang?, Xiao Zhao?, Qi Yu, Wei-Zheng Cui and Qing-Xin Liu. Evidence for the Coevolution of Axon Guidance Molecule Netrin and its Receptor Frazzled. GENE, 2014, 544 (1): 25-31. (?Equal contribution to this work.)
8. Zhao Xiao, Mo De-Lin, Zhang Yue, Chen Yao-Sheng. Progress in research on skeletal muscle growth and development in swine. Chinese Bulletin of Life Sciences, 2011, 23 (1): 1-8.
9. MA Karim Rumi, Prabhakar Singh, Katherine F. Roby, Xiao Zhao, Khursheed Iqbal, Anamika Ratri, Tianhua Lei, Wei Cui, Shaon Borosha, Pramod Dhakal, Kaiyu Kubota, Damayanti Chakraborty, Jay L. Vivian, Michael W. Wolfe, Michael J. Soares; DEFINING THE ROLE OF ESTROGEN RECEPTOR BETA IN THE REGULATION OF FEMALE FERTILITY. Endocrinology, 2017 en.2016-1916. doi: 10.1210/en.2016-1916.
10. Qi Yu, Xiao-Tong Li, Xiao Zhao, Xun-Li Liu and Qing-Xin Liu. Coevolution of Axon Guidance Molecule Slit and its Receptor Robo. PLoS ONE, 2014, 10.1371/journal.pone.0094970.
11. Anning Li, Delin Mo, Xiao Zhao, Wei Jiang, Peiqing Cong, Zuyong He, Shuqi Xiao, Xiaohong Liu, Yaosheng Chen. Comparison of the longissimus muscle proteome between obese and lean pigs at 180 days. Mamm Genome, 2013, 24(1-2):72-9.
12. Yu Qi, Zhou QiSheng, Zhao Xiao, Liu QingXin. Current progress in functions of axon guidance molecule Slit and underlying molecular mechanism. Sheng Li Xue Bao, 2012, 64(2):220-30. (Article in Chinese)
13. Anning Li, Yaosheng Chen, Xiao Zhao, Yuna Niu, Peiqing Cong, Zongwu Zhang, Weiquan Chen, Wei Jiang, Delin Mo. Characterization and transcriptional regulation analysis of the porcine TNFAIP8L2 gene. Mol Genet Genomics, 2010.284(3):185-95.
14. Xiao-Tong Li, Qi Yu, Qi-Sheng Zhou, Xiao Zhao, Zhao-Yang Liu, Wei-Zheng Cui, Qing-Xin Liu. BmRobo1a and BmRobo1b control axon repulsion in the silkworm Bombyx mori. Gene, 2016, 577(2): 215-220.
15. Xiao-Tong Li, Qi Yu, Qi-Sheng Zhou, Xiao Zhao, Zhao-Yang Liu, Wei-Zheng Cui, Qing-Xin Liu. BmRobo2/3 is required for axon guidance in the silkworm Bombyx mori. Gene, 2016, 577(2): 174-179.
16. Qi Yu, Xiao-Tong Li, Chun Liu, Wei-Zheng Cui, Zhi-Mei Mu, Xiao Zhao, Qing-Xin Liu. Evolutionarily Conserved Repulsive Guidance Role of Slit in the Silkworm Bombyx mori. PLoS ONE, 2014, Oct 6;9(10): e109377.
17. Li Xiao-Tong, Zhou Qi-Sheng, Yu Qi, Zhao Xiao, Liu Qing-Xin. Current progress in functions of axon guidance molecule Robo and underlying molecular mechanism. Acta Physiologica Sinica, June 25, 2014, 66(3): 373–385.
18. Weiquan Chen, Yaosheng Chen, Limei Qin, Anning Li, Xiao Zhao, Xiaoying Wang, Shuqi Xiao, Delin Mo. Transcription Factor Sp1 is Essential for the Regulation of the Porcine Caveolin-1 Gene. DNA and CELL BIOL, 2011, 30 (7): 491-497.
19. Niu Y, Mo D, Qin L, Wang C, Li A, Zhao X, Wang X, Xiao S, Wang Q, Xie Y, He Z, Cong P, Chen Y. LPS-induced miR-1224 negatively regulates tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene expression by modulating Sp1. Immunology, 2010.10.1111.
20. Zongwu Zhang, Delin Mo, Fei Ling, Chong Wang, Anning Li, Xiao Zhao, Yanfang Li, and Yaosheng Chen. Characterization and promoter activity analysis of a new porcine gene: NICE-3. DNA Cell Biol, 2010. 29 (3):141-147.
21. Shuqi Xiao, Jianyu Jia, Delin Mo, Qiwei Wang, Limei Qin, Zuyong He, Xiao Zhao, Yuankai Huang, Anning Li, Jingwei Yu, Yuna Niu, Xiaohong Liu, Yaosheng Chen. Understanding PRRSV infection in porcine lung based on genome-wide transcriptome response identified by deep sequencing. PLoS ONE, 2010.5(6): e11377.
22. Shuqi Xiao, Delin Mo, Qiwei Wang, Jianyu Jia, Limei Qin, Xiangchun Yu, Yuna Niu, Xiao Zhao, Xiaohong Liu, Yaosheng Chen. Aberrant immune response in infection of pigs with the highly virulent PRRSV (H-PRRSV) identified by high-throughput Solexa sequencing. BMC Genomics, 2010, 11:544.
23. Zhisheng Zhang, Delin Mo, Peiqing Cong, Zuyong He, Fei Ling, Anning Li, Yuna Niu, Xiao Zhao, Chunyan Zhou, Yaosheng Chen. Molecular cloning, expression patterns and subcellular localization of porcine TMCO1 gene. Mol. Biol. Rep, 2010. 37(3):1611-1618.
24. Limei Qin, Yaosheng Chen, Yuna Niu, Weiquan Chen, Qiwei Wang, Shuqi Xiao, Anning Li, Ying Xie, Jing Li, Xiao Zhao, Zuyong He and Delin Mo. A deep investigation into the adipogenesis mechanism: Profile of microRNAs regulating adipogenesis by modulating the canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway. BMC Genomics, 2010.11:320.